Saturday 22 August 2009

Be your own life coach. Fiona Harrold.

This was the first self help book I picked up off of the pile on my bedroom floor. The front cover glows a warming orange and promises that the book explains
"how to take control of your life and achieve your wildest dreams"

Now on reading the introduction and first chapter of this book I found myself confused since Harrold keeps making promises to the reader to be one hundred percent committed to you. This I find a paradoxical imposibility. Though Harrold wrote her own book, she cannot possibly offer one hundred percent commitment to any one in life, let alone the hundreds of readers of her book- and I doubt highly that if any of them ever managed to find her and ask a favor, whether she would comsent to do it. Now, I realise of course that the commitment she talks of is nothing of a real sort that one would want from a friend for example- however I find it almost insulting that a book tries to suggest it can offer such a thing. One must first be committed to the book itself, and all it teaches, and then, of course, the book can start working for you, so really, you're committed to yourself are you not? She often talks of working together (etc) and whilst this is the style of the book, it seems strange to me, I cannot possibly take anything from the pages of a book that suggests anyone offering me real help. That is something that stems from my scepticism, I know. I also feel however that suggesting that this one book can for example "help you to clarify your desires" or "motivate you" is a falicy since these are things unique to any one person and change hugely from person to person- so how is it that such help can be offered?

Still I will attempt to hold my reservations on the style of writing long enough to go ahead with some of the tasks in the book at least- the first of which comes at the end of the first chapter, labeled "an exercise" (the next task is to sign a mock up 'contract' also signed by the author promising you will be commited to the programme...perhaps an attempt psudo-pyschcology in an attempt to clarify in a readers mind the idea of commitment).

An Exercise.

"Now I want you to spend a few minutes writing down five things you've always wanted to do but havnt got around to so far, or have dismissed as impossible. Dont thing about this for too long. Just see what you come up with. Write down, beside each goal, two reasons you havnt managed it so far...." (page 19)

Then

"Make a list of five ways in which your life would be different if you used this book to transform the way you look at yourself."

1. Travel to Japan -not enough finance
-have not arranged it with friends/family members who would go with me.

2. Learn to speak Japanese. -I know it will be difficult
-I did not want to commit myself to learning new things/lazy.

3. Learn Free Running/ Par Kour. -Too afraid to hurt myself
-Did not want to go it alone

4. Sing in a musical. -Afraid I am not good enough of a singer
- Never auditioned for one/too scared.

5. Learn to make my own clothes -Many unfinished projects through lack of skill
-Have never committed myself to learning



1. I would have more confidence to do things that scare me

2. I would have a better physical self image

3. I would not be afraid that I am not good enough

4. I would be more self assured

5. I would be more confident and perhaps therefore have more doors open to me/ do more things.


I am to keep these until the end of the book to look back on them and see if I have acheived what I wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment