Wednesday 26 August 2009

So, really, what is self help?

The saying goes that no man is an island, and I strongly believe in that, and have for some time. We lean on those around us, and they, as much as ourselves, can often be implemented or even be the cause of personal change. Of course, a person must be willing to change, and it goes without saying that trying to change someone will never be a successful endeavour.
However, for those amongst us with the relationship/financial/success/emotional problems that turn us to a self help book in order to seek assistance- is there not an element in which friends or co-workers would be useful aides? I often find myself in a situation in which a dark mindset settles upon me. In such a position one is perfectly able to tell themselves things of a positive nature; it'll be ok, you shouldn't worry so much, there's x, y, and z solutions- but personally, and I know others think the same; I can never lift myself out of these things; I cant believe myself. it takes someone else to tell me such a thing, even if its the same thing, for my spirits to brighten. Sometimes, it only takes a kind word and a silly joke, or a good movie- nothing I could have fixed on my own.
This, I know, is probably a source of self degredation, but then, its human nature. Who can honestly say that they know the sky is blue unless there is someone trusted to confirm it?

Now, this may be a futile argument, since those reading self help books, would of course, be prepared to engage and indeed indugle in self help.
Perhaps it is those finding lack of support from those around them, or those who do not wish to share their problems with friends (though this does go against John Bird's third step of honesty towards yourself and others) or indeed those who cannot/do not find comfort in the words of others, that reach for self help books.

Perhaps even the best of us finds difficulty in the possession of total inner strength.
Perhaps that is what self help books offer whatever charm thier title may suggest- wealth, friendship, love, happiness, whatever; perhaps they are after the same thing ultimatly. Inner strength. The knowledge and belief in ones self that anything you wish/that which you wish may indeed be possible.Italic

1 comment:

  1. You might be on to something with the last point, something similar to the 'theory of asking' I was talking to you about (I'll type it up properly for another response). Maybe a self help book allows the reader to use the book as their advisor, in the same way that I personally use (though that really isn't the right word) my friends. I'm not suggesting that those poor souls who spend their money on self help books have no friends, but perhaps that the book becomes a surrogate, or a substitute. Probably with better advice than a few of my friends at any rate.

    And when I get into those dark times, usually all it takes is an evening with friends, or some sitting alone, accompanied by the right music of course, to get it all cleared up, more often than not by the next day.

    ReplyDelete