Wednesday 26 August 2009

People amuse me.

This entry is less about self help and more about observation.

Watching people, especially on trains or at train stations amuses me.

Train stations have this very nervous energy- people know their train will be there on time, or would have been told otherwise, yet still, people seem unsure, five minutes before their train arrives they check the clock constantly and shift from foot to foot. Questions run like paint across their faces.
Not only "will my train come?" but "where should I stand on the platform?" and "what if I dont get a seat" or worse, "what if I have to sit next to the wierdo or the drunk?"

The last brings me onto train personalities.
Mostly people keep themselves to themselves, those you sit next to smile and move bags, some chat to you, some train goers talk to everyone and anyone. Some do their very hardest to pretend that no one else exists in the world.
Again, this latter point moves me on and in fact links to the latter of the last..

Recently I had a reserved seat on a train back from a long journey, so went down endless carriages to find it. I apologised to the woman for making her move her bag from the seat next to her (a small tactic for privacy we all use) however, she didnt smile or make eye contact at all. She was reading the whole way and every time I went into my bag or worked my mp3, she seemed to sink lower and lower into the pages of that book until the point where I honestly began to think she had forgotten her glasses. I imagined personalities for this person, who wanted to read and hide from me so badly.
Her clothes and features and demeanour suggested a soft, gentle woman; however, as we neared a popular station, she happened to call her (I assume) husband. She was stronger in voice than I had suspected, though as she suggested buying "salad bits" for tea, I couldnt help but feel smug that this was something I would have very much suggested for my imagined her.
I wonder, not for the first time, if I am, in fact, that weirdo that people dont want to sit near! I wonder still, how many imagined personailties there have been of myself and if any of them are close to the truth!?

Later, I watch a man on the platform, intellegent looking and well dressed- raise his arms in the universal sign for "what the hell are you on about?" at the announcement board!

So many people like to stare at my hair blatently , and whilst I dont mind, it makes me wonder if my apperance alone is its own performance? I certainly prevoke audiences and get a mixed reaction, I make people question things and I even seem to offer a source of entertainment. So?
Performance?

1 comment:

  1. Well, everything's a performance XD

    I do like people watching... but I never really 'think' about it when I'm doing it. I more wonder where the person is going to.

    And having seen my fair shair of travel, I can say personally I find bus stations on average 50% more depressing than train stations. Train stations seem to have a romance about them... possibly because of the difference in the times when the train stations were built, compared to when the bus stations were.

    ReplyDelete