Monday 31 August 2009

revelation.

So.
My other half sent me this vid http://vodpod.com/watch/1013276-fifty-people-one-question
and whilst it really had nothing to do with self help, it got me thinking, as he knew it would.

I decided I'd ask a load of people, strangers and friends, to record a vlog, stating what they hate most about their lives, and how they think they might achieve that.

This made me think again, about last year, the things I researched, the parts of abjection that really interested me. It was personal reaction. The section of my solo that grabbed me- the mirror.

Im interested in self perception. Why people see themselves as they do, why they judge themselves against others, and what they judge themselves against.

This is even evident in the latest blog post here. "people make me wonder"

Its strange I never saw this all until now, it all clicked.

I know where I stand, how I find peoples reactions and how I see myself, though I cant always say why.


For now, Im going to keep researching self help...but on top of this...I know where my interest lies, and just maybe, things will change and evolve...

5 comments:

  1. "I wonder if it's really possible for one set of words to change thousands of peoples lives..."

    I'd say some books, like the Bible or the Koran, have apparently changed a lot of lives.

    When I was around 16 or 17, I was hopelessly in love with someone who didn't love be back, and it was destroying me. I bought and read a book called "How to Fall Out of Love." One thing that was recommended was that, every time you caught yourself thinking about that person, you shout "NO" as loud as you possibly can in your mind, then concentrate on something you like that has nothing to do with that person, such as the smell of frying bacon.

    I'm not sure it worked. I mean, I did feel a lot better after I used the techniques described in that book, but shortly thereafter I started gaining weight and at one point weighed over 400 pounds. I'm not sure, but I suspect I just substituted one addiction (love) for another (compulsive overeating.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment this is very interesting. I'll add more later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that its interesting thinking of the Koran or Bible as self help, though I know that these are sources that thousands of people have found help to overcome their problems in. I didnt want to get into the religious thing during this experiment, though really, I know theres little way to avoid it if I want to get a full range of ideas.
    I think that its interesting that the book worked for you, though it seems to have prompted other issues- of course, and I dont mean to insult you here at all, there is always the possibility the feelings you had would have dissipated on their own eventually.

    What remains is, the book made you look at things differently- realise a way of thinking that you couldnt find on your own. This is a good tick for self help books rather than against I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never personally had to turn to a self help book, or similar tome at the dark times in my life. What gets me through those is the advice of friends, none of whom, to my knowledge are professionals.

    It might be an ego thing, but from what I've seen of self help books, the advice they offer seems to pale in comparison to that of my friends. Perhaps the personal involvement and interaction provides something more for me than any book mass printed in the thousands can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something I theorised a while back. There's a line of difference from those of us who seek help in the people we care for, and for those of us who find it easier to tell things/get help from a stranger....part of me wants to think that this is a way of avoiding telling loved ones that you have said problem; but I know that often, it is just not possible to get what you need from words, it could be one sentence in a book that changes your whole outlook- after all they say the pen is mightier than the sword...

    ReplyDelete