Wednesday 19 August 2009

In which the adventure begins...

I came across a website the other day offering a free chapter of a relationship advice book, on a whim, I read it. I found the whole thing utterly feminist and insulting to almost everyone- however, many women had written to the author thanking her for sage advice and saying that they were now happy.
I began to wonder.
Can happiness be found through the pages of a book- not as escapism through fiction, but as a life plan. The market is full of books that detail ways in which we can become rich and successful, achieve our dreams, become a better person/lover/partner/worker:- or simply change our lives. All of these things point towards one thing. Happiness.

Self-help books aim to change a persons life through simple steps which need to be taken either mentally or proactive.
I aim to not only research these books, but undertake some of the many methods of 'life changing' detailed in between their pages.

________________________________________

Here at the beginning of my journey I am highly a sceptic when it comes to self-help books. I find it utterly strange that thousands of people should be able to be helped by one book. Surely those in need of help, and changing their lives should, if they want to seek such help, be dealt with on a one to one basis, since every person leads a different life. It is true of course that if one begins to outline the good rather than the bad, or begins to say yes more often and take risks, or even begins to simply try new things, that they are likely to find some new form of happiness- but thousands of books cannot all say the same thing. I wonder what advice might await. I'd like to know what kind of percentage of people that read such books find themselves a) completing the tasks within and b) really getting a positive result.
I also wonder if, for many people, simply picking up the book from a shelf, shows a willingness to change, and as such, has taken the first step in changing their own lives for the better?

No comments:

Post a Comment